How to build a privileged account management strategy
Shaw says a privileged account management strategy should take an integrated approach to addressing the challenges around privileged accounts, including the following best practices:
- Take an inventory of your organization's privileged accounts, including users, and the systems that use them.
- Ensure that privileged passwords are stored securely, and enforce strict requirements for access request and change management processes for privileged passwords.
- Whenever possible, ensure individual accountability and least-privileged access.
- Log and/or monitor all privileged access.
- Audit use of privileged access on a regular basis.